Investing in Discovery
An Overview of the National Institute of General Medical Sciences
Division of Pharmacology, Physiology, and Biological Chemistry
This division supports research in pharmacology, physiology, biochemistry and chemistry that deepens understanding of biology. These studies include clinical research on trauma, burn injury, sepsis, wound healing and the effects of drugs and anesthesia on the body.
This division focuses on questions like:
- How do enzymes generate energy and facilitate myriad other chemical reactions in our bodies?
- How do carbohydrate molecules influence the action of cells?
- How can scientists harness molecules from nature to use as medicines?
- How do medicines work in the body, and what role do a person's genes play?
- What physiological changes occur immediately and over time when a person is critically ill or injured?
More information about this division is available at http://www.nigms.nih.gov/ppbc.