Do You Want to be an Evolutionary Biologist?
Who wants to be an Evolutionary Biologist?
1. Parasite-infected mosquitoes cause what disease that is rampant in Africa?
c. Pink Eye
2. What field of science is the broad study of humanity itself?
3. Who are our closest living animal relatives?
4. Who is often considered the father of evolution?
a. Jean-Baptiste Lamarck
b. Alfred Russel Wallace
c. Gregor Mendel
d. Charles Darwin
5. In what world regions does the parasite P. vivax cause malaria epidemics?
a. North America & South America
b. Europe & Asia
c. Africa & Europe
d. Latin America & Asia
6. What Ivy League educational institution has one of the largest collections of DNA samples from around the world?
a. Yale University
b. Harvard University
c. Cornell University
d. Dartmouth College
7. Adults who cannot digest milk and dairy products have a damaged version or lack what enzyme?
a. Alcohol dehydrogenase
8. What individuals keep domesticated cattle or other livestock?
9. What bodily fluid did geneticist Greg Gibson obtain samples of from Moroccan Amazighs?
10. What complex network of glands and hormones is found in most animals with well-developed nervous and circulatory systems?
a. Lymphatic system
b. Integumentary system
c. Endocrine system
d. Digestive system
11. Which of the following is not a function of bacteria?
a. Help us digest food
b. Provide vitamins we can’t make ourselves
c. Regulate our body temperature
d. Function as part of our immune defense
12. What hormone regulates salt and water balance in humans and in some four-legged animals?
13. How many genes are thought to control height?
a. 20 genes
b. 50 genes
c. 100 genes
d. 200 genes
14. What gene, common in areas of Africa with widespread malaria, provides protection against malaria but also causes anemia?
15. What is the evolutionary process in which many of the hormones and receptors that we have in our bodies today resulted from subtle modifications of hormones and receptors that already existed for different purposes?
a. Natural selection
b. Molecular exploitation
d. Gene flow